Wednesday 24 February 2010

Touts or Terrorists?

We went to see the sand dunes in a village not far from Jaisalmer. Along the highway, we didn't pass very many other vehicles going in either direction.

On arriving at the sand dunes, three men spotted us and came racing towards us from their roadside lean-to. One got to my window and started to lean in, but I knew what was coming, so my window was already on its way up. The other two ended up at Tukesh's window and they both leaned in and grabbed the door of the car.

All three were screaming offers of camel rides, safaris, tent camps. Tukesh made the mistake of trying to argue with them until I shouted "Just drive!".


This guy here wasn't going to let go of the window until it was nearly high enough to take his fingers off. We were already in motion and he'd been holding on, running alongside.

After we took off back where we came from, they all got on motorbikes and chased after us, shouting pleas through our (now re-opened) car windows. Ten kilometres later, the last one finally gave up.

I may have to go back there some day, so I can get it all on video.

No comments:

Post a Comment